Near-Death Experience Statistical Report
A Near-Death Experience Statistical Report
is now available, including Appendix cross-tabulation tables.
- Most NDE events are considered wonderful, 54.0%, while 37.3% have mixed perceptions. Only 8.6% describe their experience as frightening.
- Sometimes, an important finding is that there are no significant differences between groups. No differences in near-death experiences were found for
white versus non-white respondents. Similarly, there were very few differences between those experiences occurring inside versus outside of the
- The NDE contains many common elements. Two thirds report an out-of-body experience, and almost as many see a light. More than half report strong
emotional tone and receiving knowledge. Almost half report seeing unearthly beings.
- The out-of-body experience is more often reported by those under 40 years of age. For the total sample 67.7% report an out-of-body episode,
but this is significantly lower at 59.6% for those aged 40 to 49, and 48.4% for those 50 and older. The highest incidence is 76.2% in the 10 to 19
year age group. An out-of-body is also more often associated with clinical death, 75.1% versus 63.0% for those with a non-life threatening event.
- Encountering unearthly beings is higher for females, 53.1%, compared to males, 40.3%.
- Reports of both darkness and void drop off significantly after age 50. Darkness and void are higher for those reporting a frightening experience.
- A life review is least common for those aged 50 and over. Their rate of reporting is 10.9%, about half of the total sample, 21.6%. The life review is
also higher for those who report clinical death.
- Changes in feelings about death are reported highest for those who also report a wonderful experience, 86.5% versus 75.4% for those with a frightening
experience. It was also highest for those who reported clinical death, 87.8% compared to 83.0% for the whole sample.
- The development of healing and psychic abilities is significantly higher among women, 71.4%, compared to men, 60.7%. Such abilities occur most often
for those who report clinical death, 75.5%, compared to 61.9% for those with a non-life threatening experience.
White paper report
USA vs.Foreign; Health Status at time of Experience;
Experience Frightening; Religious Type
Medical Condition: Clinical Death / Serious Condition / Non-Life Threatening
After-Effects Were: Positive / Mixed / Disturbing